From the Desk of the Chancellor, March 7, 2011
Chancellor Charles R. Bantz View print-quality image
March 7, 2011
- Diane Brown
View Related Releases:
View Information About:
The Jaguar Academic Advising Association (JACADA) is sponsoring Advisor Appreciation Week March 7 -11, 2011. This is a great opportunity to say thanks to the dedicated staff who help keep our students on course to graduation. Our award-winning academic advisors are a key part of improving our retention rates. We know they have an impact when we see that the first U.S. News and World Report’s survey of high school guidance counselors last year rated IUPUI 4.0 on a scale of 5.0. Being able to give students clear direction is something they would value highly and that obviously figured in to their assessment of institutional academic quality.
Here are just a few of the recognitions that the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA) has paid to our advising staff:
- NACADA chose two programs directed by Cathy Buyarski as best practice models for high effectiveness at IUPUI.
- Academic Advising and the First Semester: Collaborations for Student Success" is a program based on meeting the individual needs of students. Many other institutions have implemented elements of this intrusive first-semester advising system.
- “Advising in the Millennium: A Comprehensive Professional Development Series for Advisors” is for staff and faculty who serve as advisors. Program components include a standardized advisor training program, professional portfolios for advisors, an annual campuswide advising symposium, a graduate-level seminar in academic advising, and a campuswide list serve for advisors.
- University College’s advising program, “Students Taking Academic Responsibility (STAR)” was selected as an Outstanding Institutional Advising Program Award winner. Directed by Chris Maroldo, STAR is a semester-long mentoring program for students in University College who are on first-time academic probation. The average fall-to-fall retention rate for STAR participants is 19% higher than students on probation who do not participate in the program.
- Samantha Walters, Academic Advisor with University College/Academic and Career Development, was selected as a recipient of the Outstanding New Advisor Award in the Academic Advising—Primary Role category last fall. Sam has been a full-time academic advisor in University College since 2008.
Our academic advisers help students think through short- and long-term academic and career goals. This ultimately makes for a better match between student interests and the experiences they can expect to have in the classroom. By allowing its members to network and share information, JACADA helps strengthen the entire academic enterprise at IUPUI. JACADA will announce the IUPUI Advisor of the Year on Friday, March 12, 2011, at a reception for advisors. Congratulations to JACADA on a great first year, and my thanks for all you do!
Comments? Write email@example.com.